Monday, July 30, 2007

Tattoos Are Also For Computers


I've owned my laptop for a little over four months. I've made the inside my own - that is: the desktop, the apps, the settings and so forth. The two of us are comfortable with eachother. However, I haven't really made the outside of the litte beauty my own and that I'd like to change. I want it to be unique to me - something I make versus a sticker I slap on there. Although, I don't mind slapping a sticker I make on there. But there's something lackluster about a sticker. And since my laptop has an aluminum case, there are other options available. Such as.. tada! Laser etching! I've seen a couple examples of this played out so far. It seems the PowerBook/MBP just beckons owners to trace something on it's skin. The few that I've seen (kite, bunny wave, trees) are nice but aren't quite what I'm looking for. I'm looking for something more along the lines of the design in the inset photo. Just look at how happy that man is. It's taken from the beginning of a trailer for the movie Dedication. It appears to be the director's laptop. It's more of a print design than an image, which I don't think I would tire of as quickly as, say, a picture of my face. Although.. I might be on to something there. I hadn't thought of that, yet. I should try to mock something up. I definately want the design, whatever it is, to incorporate the Apple logo. I mean, it's right there. It should be utilized. How about this: my face etched on there, taking a bite out of the apple? That would be great. Would I tire of that? I'll need to think about it.


Instrucatables - Laser Etching Macintosh PowerBooks


MAKE: Blog - Laser Etching PowerBooks

No comments: